August 7, 2023 – August 13, 2023 | $1099
Join Art and Gavriel as they lead this exclusive workshop to a private lodge in the Katmai region of Alaska with an expert guide. You will have opportunities to view and photograph bears safely and will be creating dynamic images that are different than anything you have seen before. This is a Katmai experience like no other due to the exclusivity of the location and the expert guidance. You can be one of only 10 people to learn the nuances of nature photography taught in a truly wild atmosphere by a well-versed set of instructors.
Led by Art Wolfe
Assisted by Gavriel Jecan
Limited to 10 participants
Moderate hiking involved
Transportation and Accommodation
All meals during the workshop, lodging, and transportation to and from the lodge is included. You will be responsible for your flight to and from Anchorage Alaska and for your hotel in Anchorage. You are requested to arrive by Aug 7th so that the entire group can convene the afternoon of Aug 8th for departure. We have secured group rate rooms at an Anchorage hotel. Upon registration you will download a PDF that includes the hotel information. Please call the hotel directly and reference the Art Wolfe workshop to make your reservation.
The activity level for this workshop is moderate with proposed field outings that may involve approximately 6 miles of hiking over uneven ground to the photographic location. Please be aware of this before signing up. If there is any question regarding your ability to participate please call our office.
Shooting schedules have the ability to be altered to effectively cater to the photographic desires of the group, as well as to adapt to changeable weather conditions.
Day 1 Aug 7
- Meet and greet with the rest of the participants 6pm Aug 7th no host dinner at restaurant in Anchorage. Everyone can introduce themselves, and prepare for the departure the following day. (Art Wolfe will not be attending this meeting as he will already be at the lodge.)
- Approximately 3:00pm -Depart Anchorage for Katmai lodge
- Cabin assignments, waders and boots provided to each participant for trip, and settling in to lodge
- Discussion of proper procedures around bears and the float plane
- Breakfast at lodge, and lunches distributed for field
- Full day in the field with Art and Gavriel
- Lessons will be provided throughout the field outings
- Flight back to lodge
- Download images from the day. Dinner at lodge
- Art and Gavriel provide feedback on everyone’s images and provide suggestions for the following days in the field.
Day 7 Aug 13
- The group will go out into the field one more time before departure for Anchorage.
- Arrive in Anchorage at approximately 5pm. **Please check with Libby Pfeiffer before making your flight arrangements to confirm the arrival time back in Anchorage.**It is the last frontier, a place where wild dominates humankind. A place known as the land of the midnight sun, here alpenglow lasts for hours, not minutes. Imagine venturing into this wilderness where the bears do not fear humans, where the minimal human population has learned and adapted to live in harmony with them. The bears rule, not only because they are strong, large, and on the top of their food chains, but because the humans believe that they should. Now imagine being able to capture photos of these magnificent creatures from 15 feet away. This is Alaska!Instead of concentrating only on f-stops and equipment, we will work on composition, imagination, and the control of every element in the image. We do more than just take you to the location; we help you to maximize your creative and technological skills as a photographer.
To keep our instructors and clients safe and healthy as well as streamlining the process of acquiring destination venues and accommodations, we are asking that all workshop participants be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.